Community and Industry Training
Guide Dogs NSW/ACT provides education and training sessions to a range of community, business and industry groups.
The training is designed to raise awareness and understanding of vision impairment while also providing practical skills on how to best assist a person with vision loss. Depending on the audience, the following topics could be discussed:
- Services offered by Guide Dogs NSW/ACT
- Vision and vision impairments
- Practical skills to best assist a person with vision impairment
- Orientation & mobility skills – including the use of long canes and Guide Dogs
- Guide Dog etiquette
- Information on access issues and accessible design for people with impaired vision
Guide Dogs is currently providing training to various industry groups such as Transport for NSW, NSW Taxi Council, NSW Police Force, Sydney Eye Hospital, university students, Councils, as well as health, hospitality and cultural institutions.
For more information on how you can assist people with impaired vision, or to learn more about our staff training, contact the Community Education Department on (02) 9412 9300.