Posted in: Group programs
31 December 2021
- Contact details:
For many clients staying connected with others is extremely important for maintaining good mental health, and this is particularly the case during COVID-19. That is why we have introduced, as part of our Connection Services, a free option for ‘Client Connection’ to help keep up conversations during these times.
Chatter Paws invites Guide Dogs NSW/ACT clients to dial into a group ‘chat’ of around six people. Discussions may be focussed on particular areas of client interest or have no set topic of discussion. Each chat session is facilitated by a client volunteer.
These group chat sessions run for an hour using Zoom. Some groups run on a weekly basis, others fortnightly. Clients will be sent reminder notices the day before each session and the Zoom link or dial in options through which to join the group chat. Clients can also ask to be dialled into the chat if they are unable to connect independently.
The sessions are not part of any My Goal Plans and should not be confused with the delivery of tele-practices by Guide Dogs specialists.
The current groups times available for Chatter Paws sessions are:
- Tuesday 9am (weekly): Suitable for Guide Dog Handlers of mixed ages.
- Tuesday 2pm (fortnightly): Suitable for Guide Dog Handlers of mixed ages.
- Tuesday 7pm (weekly): Suitable for Guide Dog Handlers of mixed ages.
- Wednesday at 2pm (weekly): Suitable for over 60’s.
- Thursday at 11am (weekly): Mixed ages and interests.
- Thursday at 7pm (fortnightly): Mixed ages and interests.
- Friday at 4pm (weekly): Mixed ages and interests.
Please note: Availability changes frequently within the groups, enquiries are necessary to finalise group placement.
Guide Dogs Client Engagement and Connections Coordinators Katie Butler and Bowie Ng are coordinating the initiative.