22 May 2020
Following the success of Guide Dogs Australia’s (GDA) recent Zoom meeting held on International Guide Dog Day, the puppies are back, but this time for a look at the Puppy Raising program also known as, the best volunteer job in the world!
The star of the first event, Zoom the puppy, will return for his second public appearance, along with an all-star cast of the Guide Dogs volunteer community – and a ‘behind the scenes’ look at a puppy nursery.
The meeting will be held during National Volunteer Week on Friday 22 May for people around the country to tune in and find out what it takes to raise a puppy that will go on to become a full-fledged Guide Dog and change the life of a person with blindness or low vision.
There are already more than 1,000 Australians who are helping Guide Dogs Australia raise and care for Guide Dog puppies, and although there is a waitlist in some states, Guide Dogs is always on the lookout for quality Puppy Raisers, so now is a great time to consider if you are in a position to help out in the future.
· Ryan Jones, Guide Dog Mobility Instructor and Guide Dog in Training Zena
· Alex Hecker, Guide Dogs Ambassador & Influencer and Ambassador Dog Lynney
· Leah Willett, carer of Guide Dog Puppy Zoom
· Sam O’Keeffe, Guide Dogs NSW/ACT’s Therapy Dog Coordinator
· Fiona Kachel, Guide Dogs Queensland Nursey Coordinator
· A Volunteer Puppy Raiser family