Ensuring the pup’s behavioural development
It is expected that you will:
- Adhere to the concepts, techniques, and guidelines as established by Guide Dogs NSW/ACT regarding handling, training, and socialisation of pups.
- Attend regular training sessions with the pup. These sessions are generally held on a weekly basis for the first 2 months, and then progress to fortnightly sessions.
- Teach the pup basic dog skills (such as sit, walking nicely on lead, and body handling).
- Teach the pup good house manners (such as staying off the furniture and counters), and social skills (such as greeting people politely and settling quietly).
- Regularly socialise and expose the pup to a variety of environments and experiences in a positive manner, enabling the development of a confident, well-mannered Guide Dog.
Please note that failure to abide by these Puppy Raising / Temporary Carer Responsibilities may result in Guide Dogs NSW/ACT rehoming the pup.