Home Whelping and Puppy Rearing Program
What is the Home Whelping and Puppy Rearing Program?
The Home Whelping and Puppy Rearing Program gives our specially selected breeding female dogs the opportunity to give birth in warm, loving volunteer homes. These volunteers play an invaluable role in helping bring the next generation of Guide Dog puppies into the world.
This program is not only rewarding, but is an essential part of the early stages of the Guide Dog journey where mums and puppies need to have a nice warm place to sleep and be around all the normal noises of family life and have lots of interaction with people.
Keep reading to find out more about the Home Whelping and Puppy Rearing Program or apply to be a volunteer now by contacting the Guide Dogs Centre at Glossodia on (02) 4579 7555 or email Leah Willett direct at lwillett [at] guidedogs.com.au
Who Can Apply for the Home Whelping and Puppy Rearing Program?
The role of a volunteer carer includes home whelping and rearing of the puppy litter until they are six weeks of age and ready to return to the Guide Dogs Centre at Glossodia to eventually go out to their Puppy Raising families at seven to eight weeks old.
A good volunteer must be dedicated to putting love and effort into the most formative weeks of a puppy's life and caring for the beautiful mum and fit the following criteria:
- Lives in the Richmond, Windsor, Penrith and Hills areas
- Be home for most of the day and not leave the mum or puppy unsupervised for more than 4 hours at a time
- Willing to allow mother and puppies to sleep and spend time indoors
- Have a yard with dog proof fencing
- Have access to a car to transport a labrador dog
- Be available to attend Education and Training Sessions
- If the volunteer has other pets, these pets must be "dog friendly" and willing to have new puppy pals
By volunteering to assist in whelping and caring for a mum and her puppies in their very first weeks, you will make a wonderful contribution that will help these special pups to one day change the life of someone who is blind or vision impaired.
Does this sound like you? Apply now by contacting the Guide Dogs Centre at Glossodia on (02) 4579 7555 or email Leah Willett direct at lwillett [at] guidedogs.com.au
What we provide to volunteers
- Guide Dogs NSW/ACT provides full training, education and support to volunteers
- Guide Dog NSW/ACT’s Whelp and Breed Stock Advisor will visit volunteers a couple of times a week to help with weighing, worming and enrichment..
- All essential equipment is supplied such as food, collars, leashes, grooming equipment, food bowls, bedding, whelping and rearing equipment, and preventive medicine including flea and tick, heartworm and worming preventions
- We cover all the costs of Veterinary consultations and procedures
- Access to our Private Facebook Group to connect with other volunteers in your area
If you would like to join Guide Dogs NSW/ACT’s Home Whelping and Puppy Rearing Program, please apply by contacting the Guide Dogs Centre at Glossodia on (02) 4579 7555 or email Leah Willett direct at lwillett [at] guidedogs.com.au